Delays in Overseas U.S. Passport Processing
Due to a systems issue affecting global passport operations, there is currently a delay in the printing of U.S. passports that were approved at overseas passport facilities. Applications accepted at U.S. Embassies or Consulates on or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay. If you applied for a U.S. passport during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the consulate or embassy at which you originally applied. Information about how to apply for an emergency passport is available at the following website: http://guatemala.usembassy.gov/acs_passports_citizenship_birth.html
In order to serve you better, the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala City will provide the following services by appointment only:
- Reporting the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen
- First-time passport issuance (Form DS-11)
- Renewal of passports for minor children under the age of 16 (Form DS-11)
- Renewal of passports for applicants who are over 16 years old and whose previous passport was issued before the applicant turned 16 years old (Form DS-11)
- Replacement of passports issued more than 15 years ago (Form DS-11)
Services that don't require an appointment:
- Additional Visa Pages (Visa pages are added while you wait and you can submit your application during our working hours) (Form DS-4085)
- Adults passport renewal (adults whose passport was issued with a 10 years validity and which issuance date was during the last 15 years) (Form DS-82)
- Replacement of an emergency passport (Form DS-5504)
- Data change or correction (Form DS-5504)
- Replacement of a lost/stolen passport (Forms DS-11 and DS-64)
*For further information about each service, click on it.
All passport application forms have to be filled out on line, printed and submitted at your appointment:
Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete all the necessary paperwork before arriving at the Embassy and also bring supporting documents such as birth certificates, photos, tax records, proof of residence in the United States, etc.
Every effort is made to assist applicants in a timely manner. However, delays may occur due to unexpected circumstances. Your patience is appreciated.
For more specific information regarding services, click on the links below:
- U.S. Passport photograph Acceptance Guide (PDF 773K)
- U.S. Passport Photograph Acceptance Guide, Children’s Photos Addendum (PDF 256kb)
- Passport Fees
- Passport Application in the United States
- Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship
- Issues Concerning Dual Nationality
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.