Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Crime and Public Safety

Some Helpful Tips If You’ve Been Robbed

If you have been robbed, there are a lot of things you need to think about and get in order. Here are a few helpful hints about what you need to do.

  • Police Report: It is very important to file a report with the local Guatemalan police concerning the incident. You will need the report later in order to get a new passport and obtain a new Guatemalan visa or exit permit. File it at the nearest police station in Guatemala or at the following address:

    3er Cuerpo
    Policia Nacional
    29 Calle 13-36, Zona 5, San Pedrito
    Guatemala City
    Tel: 2362-7717
  • Money: The easiest way to get money from the U.S. is to use Western Union. You can ask a family member or friend to wire money from a Western Union agency in the U.S. directly to a Western Union agency in Guatemala. This is the easiest, most convenient and fastest way to get money sent to you. To get an idea of how much money to ask for, you should consider the following needs:
    • Hotel: There is a list of Guatemalan hotels (PDF 38KB) in the Consular Section of the Embassy.
    • Food
    • Transportation: May include bus/cab fare and the possible purchase of a new airline ticket.
    • Passport: A new passport will cost $135 (adult), and $105 (children) plus approximately $5 for photographs.
    • Airport Tax: An exit tax must be paid when departing Guatemala by air. The exit tax (currently $30) is generally included in an airline ticket price, but may be charged separately. There is an additional airport security fee (20 Quetzales, approximately $2.50) that all travelers must pay at the airport.
    • Entry Stamp: In order to leave the country, you will need to get a new Guatemalan entry stamp (PDF 35KB) placed in your new passport to replace the stamp put in your lost/stolen passport when you entered Guatemala. There is no fee for this service. Without such a stamp, Guatemalan border authorities may not allow travelers to leave Guatemala. Bring your replacement U.S. passport, and for stolen passport, a copy of the police report of the theft, to the following address:

      Guatemalan Immigration
      Sub-Dirección de Control Migratorio
      6a. Avenida 3-11, Zona 4
      Tel: 2411-2411
      Hours: Monday-Friday 08:00-16:30

Please note that Guatemalan Immigration may have to refer you to another Immigration office. This will depend on whether your travel information has been entered into their computer.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.