Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Register Birth Abroad

Report of Birth - Registering an American Citizen’s Birth in Guatemala

The birth in Guatemala of a child with a claim to American citizenship should be reported at the earliest possible date to the Consular Section of the American Embassy in Guatemala City.


  • On the morning of your appointment, only the US Citizen parent needs to come at the scheduled time, making sure to bring all paperwork. At this point, it is not necessary to bring the other parent and child. Upon submitting the paperwork, the parent will then pay the required fees ($100 for a CRBA, $105 for a U.S. passport). As this fee is non-refundable, parents should make sure they meet the requirements before applying.
  • We encourage parents to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time. However, if the parents choose to apply only for a CRBA, they must make a separate later appointment to request the passport.
  • After paying the fees, the parent can leave until that afternoon. If the ACS unit requires additional documents, we will call the parents to inform them what they must bring.
  • Beginning at 1:00 p.m. both parents and the child must return and be present for their interview.
  • If the case is approved, the CRBA and/or passport will be ready for pick up two weeks later. Either parent may come to the Embassy to pick them up. The child does not need to return. If the case cannot be approved at the time of interview, the Officer will explain what further actions are required.


  • Complete Form DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support form, and passport application form DS-11
  • Original Guatemalan birth certificate (Certificación de Nacimiento, NOT the boleta) issued by RENAP.
  • Both parents' passports and U.S. Certificate(s) of Naturalization, if applicable.
  • Original evidence of valid marriage of the parents, if applicable. If married in Guatemala, the marriage certificate from RENAP is required.
  • Evidence of the termination of any prior marriage of either parent (divorce documents or death certificates).
  • Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the United States prior to the child's birth. For most children born on or after November 14, 1986, to one American citizen parent and to one non-American parent, the American parent must demonstrate a total of 5 years physical presence in the U.S., with at least 2 of the 5 years occurring after the parent reached the age of 14 (exceptions may apply). Documents such as School Transcripts/Diplomas, Social Security Earning Statements, Tax Information can be presented as evidence of residency in the U.S. The consular officer may require additional documentation and/or a personal interview with the non-American parent.

Upon presentation of satisfactory documentation to a consular officer and a determination that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America will be issued. One original will be forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C. for permanent filing.

Additional Suggested Documents:

In some instances, a Consular Officer may request additional evidence. Applicants should also bring documents that provide additional proof of the birth, such as the following:

  • Hospital records
  • Hospital bills
  • Certificates issued by the hospital or doctor
  • Physical exams of the baby
  • Pre/post-natal medical records
  • Photos of the mother while pregnant
  • Photos of the newborn at the hospital

Instructions for DNA and Parental Blood Testing


Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.