Register Birth Abroad
Report of Birth - Registering an American Citizen’s Birth in Guatemala
The birth in Guatemala of a child with a claim to American citizenship should be reported at the earliest possible date to the Consular Section of the American Embassy in Guatemala City.
In order to complete a Report of Birth the American citizen parent(s) and the child should appear personally at Window 3, the day of the appointment, at the Consular Section, with the following:
- Complete Form DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.
- Original Guatemalan birth certificate (Certificación de Nacimiento, NOT the boleta) issued by RENAP.
- Both parents' passports and U.S. Certificate(s) of Naturalization, if applicable.
- Original evidence of valid marriage of the parents, if applicable. If married in Guatemala, the marriage certificate from RENAP is required.
- Evidence of the termination of any prior marriage of either parent (divorce documents or death certificates).
- Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the United States prior to the child's birth. For most children born on or after November 14, 1986, to one American citizen parent and to one non-American parent, the American parent must demonstrate a total of 5 years physical presence in the U.S., with at least 2 of the 5 years occurring after the parent reached the age of 14 (exceptions may apply). Documents such as School Transcripts/Diplomas, Social Security Earning Statements, Tax Information can be presented as evidence of residency in the U.S. The American parent will need to fill out an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support form.
- The consular officer may require additional documentation and/or a personal interview with the non-American parent.
- Reports of Birth Abroad cost $100.00 in cash or credit card (Dollars or Quetzales equivalent).
Upon presentation of satisfactory documentation to a consular officer and a determination that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America, Form FS-240, will be issued. One original will be forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C. for permanent filing.
Instructions for DNA and Parental Blood Testing
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.